King Sunny AdeÂ was Born on September 22, 1946.
Here are 10 things you didnâ€™t know about the legend:
1. KSAâ€™s father was a church minister and organist, while his mother was a trader.
- He left home for the city to pursue his chosen career under the guise of attending the University of Lagos.
- His first experience as an entertainer was with Baba Salaâ€˜s Federal Rhythm Dandies.s
- Island Records signed KSA in the early 80s following the death of Bob Marley and intended making him the next global star but the contract was short lived as he refused to â€˜Europeanise his musicâ€™ as requested by the label. KSA released 3 albums (Juju Music-82, Synchro System-83 and Aura-84) under Island Records.
- He is the first Nigerian musician to be nominated for a Grammy awards and has gone on to be nominated twice.
- New York Times described KSA as one of the greatest band leaders of all times.
- One of KSAâ€™s wives, Ajoke Adeniyi Adegeye was a member of the Lagos State House of Assembly from 2007 to 2011.
- King Sunny Ade made a cameo appearance in the 1983 Hollywood movie,â€™ Breathlessâ€™ which stars Richard Gere.
- KSA is one of the first African musicians to collaborate with American acts. In 1984, he featured Stevie Wonder on his album, Aura.
- He is acclaimed as a musical â€˜Kingâ€™ but KSA was actually born into a royal house in Ondo town which makes him a prince and one of those eligible to the throne of Ondo Kingdom.