Following the demise of the Oba of Benin Kingdom, Oba Erediauwa, Omo N’ Oba N’ Edo Uku Akpolokpolo, on Friday, the ancient Bini kingdom has announced that the late Oba’s son, His Royal Highness, Edaiken N’Uselu, Crown Prince Eheneden Erediauwa, will ascend to his father’s seat.
Here are 7 things to know about the next Oba of Benin:
1) Crown Prince Eheneden Erediauwa was formally installed as the Edaiken of Uselu, Benin Kingdom on March 12, 2016, thus making him the next Oba after completing the traditional rites.
2) On Tuesday, October 6, 2015, after seven days ceremony, Prince Eheneden was formally initiated into the Royal Palace Chamber of Iwebo in keeping with ancient Bini custom.
3) Prince Eheneden is a former Nigerian Ambassador to Norway and Angola. He was recalled to Benin Kingdom to assume his role as the first son and heir apparent to the throne of Bini Kingdom.
4) Born in 1953, Prince Eheneden has a B.A. in economics and sociology from the University of Wales and he’s alao a member of the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs.
5) On ascending the revered seat of the Oba of Benin, Prince Eheneden will become the 39th Oba of Bini Kingdom following a long line of royals dating back to the 15th century. His royal name is yet to be made public.
6) Prince Eheneden is married to three wives: Princess Iroghama, (Obazuaye N’Erie), Princess Iyayiota, (Obazuwa N’Erie) Princess Ikpakpa (Ohe N’Erie).
7) The Crown Prince is a foremost leader in the Nigerian business sphere and has interest in the oil and gas industries.