Breaking Featured Featured General Politics

Biography/Profile/History Of Late Former Burundi Minister “Hafsa Mossi”

hon.hafsa mossi 1 Hafsa Mossi is a Hutu and a Muslim. She received her diploma in journalism and began her career in 1993 with the Channel for Africa in South Africa.

In 1998 she moved to London to work in the Swahili section of the BBC. She returned to Burundi following the CNDD-FDD victory in the September 2005 elections and was appointed spokesperson for the President. hadd

While the inter-Burundian talks continue this Wednesday, July 13 still in Tanzania, the violence continues in Bujumbura. This morning at 10:30 local time, the former minister  was murdered. She was Burundian member of the Assembly of the East African States community, sub-regional institution that organizes the talks.

Hafsa Mossi was leaving her home in the Gihosha district in the northeast of the capital. According to the police spokesman, a vehicle registered in Tanzania cut off the road, a man opened fire with a pistol before taking flight by firing an assault rifle AK-47 type. The victim died before reaching the hospital.addf

Former journalist and national correspondent Broadcasting of the BBC Swahili Service, Hafsa Mossi was also a politician. CNDD-FDD, she was the spokesman of President Pierre Nkurunziza on his election in 2005 before becoming Minister for Relations with the Community of East African States.

Those who knew her describe a discreet wife and mild in nature. On his Twitter account, President Pierre Nkurunziza condemned “a despicable and cowardly act” was followed by a host of personalities from all sides. The procedure reminds wave of targeted killings in Burundi has experienced since the crisis began there more than a year but until then touched mainly military. In recent days, local media have reported several cases of violence and numerous arrests in Burundi.

At approximately 10:30 on Wednesday 13th July, 2016 Honorable Hafsa Mossi was murdered by three armed men driving Toyota Premio witnesses said. The MP for the East African Community had just left his house based in North Mutanga in Gihosha area. Watch Video Below:

Hafsa Mossi, a messenger of hope:

Mossi, a discreet former journalist known for her tact, made the headlines in June last year when she urged Burundian refugees not to lose hope during a visit of the Mahama refugee camp in Rwanda.

At the time, Mossi said: “Nobody can flee his or her country when he or she is safe.

“My message to them is to encourage them and to give them hope that the dialogue has started in the country, and that maybe, we should hope that in the next few months, things will become normal so that they can go back home.”

Her visit followed the political and humanitarian crisis in the wake of the Burundi political crisis, which had already forced more than 100,000 Burundian citizens to flee to seek refuge in neighbouring Rwanda and Tanzania.

In 2007 the Government of Burundi consisted of a 20-member Council of Ministers appointed by the President. The Council of Ministers, together with the President and Vice-Presidents, forms the executive branch of government in the country.

The constitution, which enshrines ethnically-based power-sharing, requires that 60% of ministers come from the ethnic Hutu majority while the remaining 40% come from the ethnic Tutsi minority. At least 30% of government ministers must be women.index-169

Members of President Pierre Nkurunziza’s government were announced on 14 November 2007. The government consisted of 12 men (8 Hutus and 4 Tutsis) and 8 women (6 Hutus and 2 Tutsis). The ethnic composition was 14 Hutus and 6 Tutsis. A new government was announced on August 29, 2010.


Credits: wikipedia, Iwacu Web TV

Leave a Comment