Not many people know that Ogun State is blessed with a high number of rich men. They are mainly industrialists, businessmen and politicians drawn from the 3 major senatorial districts of the State.
1) Kabiyesi Osinle Oke Ona, Oba Dr. Adedapo Tejuoso is one of the richest men from Ogun State, but many people donâ€™t know that. Ever before he became an Oba he had been a stupendously rich businessman. Although he is a medical doctor by training, he didnâ€™t make his money from medicine. He was born into wealth. His mum, late Chief Mrs. Bisoye Tejuoso, the Iyalode of Egbaland was one of the richest women of her generation. So, Kabiyeesi simply inherited his mumâ€™s wealth and he added value to it.
Although he is a medical doctor by training, he
didnâ€™t make his money from medicine. He was born
into wealth. His mum, late Chief Mrs. Bisoye Tejuoso, the Iyalode
of Egbaland was one of the richest women of her generation. So,
Kabiyeesi simply inherited his mumâ€™s wealth and
he added value to it.
With the effect that the family business he inherited grew into the big conglomerate it is today. Kabiyeesiâ€™s biggest source of income is property and real estate in Lagos. Unknown to many he is a big land owner in Lagos. He owns several estates around Lagos, from Tejuoso estate behind popular. Tejuoso Market at Yaba to yet another estate behind Eko Hospital also in Lagos. He also owns properties in Ilupeju. In Lekki, he has also developed a lot of estates. He has huge projects around Lekki Phase One and 2 and Ajah. He also has huge investments in stocks abroad. Equally rich is the Alake of Egbaland, who has huge property investments in Lagos and Abeokuta. He has old money based on
Unknown to many he is a big land owner in Lagos. He owns several estates around Lagos, from Tejuoso estate behind popular. Tejuoso Market at Yaba to yet another estate behind Eko Hospital also in Lagos. He also owns properties in Ilupeju.
In Lekki, he has also developed a lot of estates. He has huge projects around Lekki Phase One and 2 and Ajah. He also has huge investments in stocks abroad. Equally rich is the Alake of Egbaland, who has huge property investments in Lagos and Abeokuta. He has old money based on
Equally rich is the Alake of Egbaland, who has huge property investments in Lagos and Abeokuta. He has old money based on past in heritance and part money he made from his various business.
2) Chief Alani Bankole is one of the richest men in Ogun State. There are many sides to him. He is a businessman. He is a politician. A community leader and a kingmaker in Egbaland. This respected Egba high chief made his first million in the early 70s. He was one of Nigeriaâ€™s leading freight forwarders and Ebenezer Obey praise sang him in the 70s.
3) Dimeji Bankole; Unknown to many, this energetic Egba high chief who is the father of former Speaker Dimeji Bankole is one of the biggest real estate players in Lagos and Ogun State. He owns vast properties and real estate investments in prime areas of Lagos from the heart of Ikeja to Oregun and several parts. But he does not flaunt his wealth.
4) Two-time Ogun State Governor, Aremo Olusegun Osoba is one of the richest men from Ogun State. He is one of the accomplished media professionals who have also done well for themselves. After having had a remarkable career in journalism, he went into private business and then politics. He was twice governor of Ogun State. He has huge investments in real estate.
5) Chief Ernest Shonekan is another rich man from Ogun. A lawyer by training, Chief Shonekan hit it big in corporate Nigeria. He rose to be UAC Chairmen and at a time was on the board of several blue-chip companies. He has extensive investments in big businesses including shipping. He is also an egba high chief who plays big in properties in highbrow areas of Victoria Island, and Ikoyi.
6) Gen. Oladipupo Diya, the former Chief of General Staff to late head of state, Sani Abacha since he left office and since he came back from prison, this respected Odogbolu military man has gone into private business. He plays big in real estate in Lagos, owns a hotel in his hometown and owns a funeral undertaking company called LOTAD.
7) Gov. Ibikunle Amosun, the current Governor of the state is another rich man from the state. Before he came to office as Governor he had been a successful Chartered Accountant with a flourishing Accounting firm.Â As far back as 15 years ago he had been sending a minimum of 25 Muslims to Mecca on Holy pilgrimage annually. Not many people know that he is rich.
8) Dr. Bolu Akin-Olugbade is another rich man. His late father was a businessman. He is also a successful corporate lawyer and businessman. He made a lot of money from Oil, Shipping and Properties. He owns a lot of huge investments in real estate in Lekki, and the US.
9) Otunba Paseda is another rich man from Ogun State. He came on the scene about 2 years ago when he joined the governorship race in Ogun State. Many thought he was a push over until they saw how he resuscitated a dead party like UPN and he bankrolled it. By the time elections was over he had spent about N1.2 billion of his own money.Â They are not the only rich men from Ogun State, there are so many from Ijebu.
10) The Odutola Brothers, For very many years, the Ijebus have always been known to have loads and loads of big men who are rich. Time was when you had the likes of the Odutola Brothers, the late Haruna Ishola who once had about 1 million pounds in fixed deposit in a London bank, late Chief Okunowo, the Damask merchant, late Chief Shonibare with juicy properties all over Lagos, Chief Olanrewaju Kassim of Shokas fame and many more. Some of them built big industries, while some were simply socialites. But many of them are no more but some of the legacies they built lives on.
But there are other big players who are stupendously rich. They are entrepreneurs, investors, big businessmen who have made big money from the businesses they run or from the investments theyâ€™ve made. They fall into different categories.
There is the category of those who are in their late 60s and 70s. There is the second category of those who are in their late 50s and early 60s, while the 3rd are those in their 40s and early 50s.
In the first category is the Awujale of Ijebuland:
11) Oba Sikiru Adetona who presides over a huge financial portfolio said to be in billions. He owns properties and land scattered all over Lagos and Ijebu. Being the paramount ruler of Ijebuland, he often gets gifts from Ijebu indigenes who feel obliged to give him. He is very conservative and frugal in spending and all those around him make sure Kabiyesi does not touch his personal income. He is generally believed to be stupendously rich.
12) Chief Dr. Bayo Kuku (CON) is another rich man in that age bracket. At 82, the Ogbeni Oja of Ijebuland has been a big spender for the past 2 decades. In his younger years, he was a notable Boardroom player. A lawyer, he rose to become the 1st Nigerian Chairman of Mobil Producing (Nigeria) Ltd. He owns one of the biggest houses in Ijebu-Ode.
13) Chief (Dr.) Christopher Oladipo Ogunbanjo (CON). Equally intimidating is the business empire of Chief (Dr.) Christopher Oladipo Ogunbanjo (CON). A lawyer for very many years, heâ€™s a corporate titan with heavy investments in juicy companies. With the result of that today, he has diverse interest in virtually every sector ranging from Insurance to Banking, Glass Production, Pharmaceutical and Real Estate. No wonder they often call him Baron of Commerce and Industry.
How about Otunba (Dr.) Michael Olasubomi Balogun
(CON), the founder of FCMB?
He falls into this group. He is an acknowledged Baron of the Nigerian Capital and Money Markets. He is also the Grandmaster of modern banking and an accomplished entrepreneur. He is one of the biggest players in Real Estate in Nigeria. He owns several highrise apartments in top-notch areas in Lagos and owns 2 magnificent homes in Lagos and Ijebu which are architectural masterpieces. He owns about 4 customised Rolls Royce Limousines.
15)Â Otunba Busurah Alebiosu (Also is the godfather of APC Otunba Busurah Alebiosu (Bush). He is one of the successful Ijebu big men and has several chieftaincy titles.
In the 2nd category are the likes of 16) Otunba Mike Adenuga, the Globacom boss, 17) Oba Otudeko, 18) Dr. Sunny Kuku, 19) Chief Adegunwa. Adenuga is into Telecoms, Oil, Banking, Trading and Real Estate. He is reputed to be one of the richest Nigerians. Oba Otudeko is equally loaded. His real name is Dr. Ayoola Oba Otudeko. He has built a formidable business conglomerate called The Honeywell Group which he has nurtured into very successful businesses in the Energy, Food, Real Estate, Infrastructure and Services sector of the economy.
He is a foremost investor and has shares in many publicly- quoted companies. He is an astute businessman and exemplary boardroom player. He is like Asiwaju S.K. Onafowokan who was for many years the President of the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry. There is also Alhaji (Dr.) Adebola Suleiman Adegunwa, the Chairman of Fototek and several other businesses. This rich man of style has built a formidable business empire that started with Photography but has expanded to Rite Sausage Rolls. Unknown to many, he is a big player in the real estate sector with Shopping Malls all over Lagos.
20) Dr. Sunny Folorunso Kuku is another rich Ijebu businessman. He is a Medical Doctor-turned-investor. He co-owns Eko Hospital and owns shares in Eco Bank.
21) Chief Idowu Sofola, MON, SAN is another rich Ijebu. He is a successful lawyer from the popular Sofola family in Ikene. How about the Advertising Czar in Nigeria, Mr. Biodun Shobanjo? He is a rich Ijebu. He is the Chairman of Troyka Holdings, Nigeriaâ€™s largest and most innovative integrated marketing communications group in sub-Saharan Africa.
22)Â Â Engr. H.O.B Lawal,
a Civil Engineer who has handled many projects in Lagos.
Former Ogun Governor, Otunba Gbenga Daniel is also a wealthy Ijebu man. He is heavily into Real Estate. His lift company, Kresta Laurel is still waxing strong.
24) Otunba Alex Onabanjo is a big businessman who has heavy investment in very many areas from Construction, Hotel, Radio, TV to Supplies. He loves to play in the A-league. He is into Real Estate.
26) Otunba Abdullateef Owoyemi, one of
Nigeriaâ€™s foremost Accountants? Now in
retirement, the Otunba Jadiara of Ijebuland is still very
How about the man behind construction giant, ARON? Engineer F.O Arowolo is stupendously rich. He runs an engineering construction company that has completed many projects in Ogun State like the Awujale Palace extension, Teslim Balogun Stadium, Lagos and several other stadia.
27)Â Dr. Kunle Hassan, the Eye Specialist. He is the pioneer leader of modern Ophthalmological practice including vitreo-retinal surgery in Nigeria. He revolutionized Eye Health Care through Private-Public Partnership making quantitative and qualitative Eye Care available for both the rich and the less privileged.
28) Asiwaju Jide Awosedo falls into this category too. He is a politician, former banker and real estate player. From Okun Owa, he is the Otun Asiwaju Onigbagbo of Ijebuland and Asiwaju Onigbagbo of Okun Owa.
30)Â Oba Shafi Sule? He fits the bill too. He is also very rich. Although he started off as a banker, he has grown to become a very big investor. He owns Leolas Water and Drink. He manufactures Leolas Ozonised Table Water, Leolas Apple and Leolas Lime & Lemon.
31) Giwa Abiodun Onanuga is another rich Ijebu.
He is the Anikilaya of Ijebuland. He is a builder and he has made
millions constructing houses for many Ijebu indigenes. He owns
NUGACON Construction. He has since stepped up his investment to
play in the Oil and Gas sector.
32)Â Otunba Remi Abdul, the Airconditioner specialist?
33) Otunba Lekan Bello, the former Banker and Financial Consultant?
34) Hon. Yomi Ogunnusi, a politician who is a
member of the House of Reps.
35) Chief Stephen Bakare of the Oluwalogbon fame is one of the rich Ijebus. He is the Babalaje of Ijebuland.
36) Alhaji Jubril Martins Kuye, the former Minister falls into this category, so also 37) Chief Otubusi of Pacific Print.
38) Oba Sonariwo, the Sagamu monarch is also in
this category of the super-rich.
39) Laide Fowosere is a big name on this list. He is a big paper merchant from Ijebu Igbo, he owns Nucleus Ventures.
40) Senator Lekan Mustapha is also another rich Ijebu. He is a frontline politician and hotel owner. The hotel called Grand Inn & Suites is a 5 star hotel in Ijebu Ode. That is the no1 hotel now in the city.
41) Lekan Osifeso is one of the emerging rich Ijebu men, just like Toyin Okeowo and Segun Fowora who lives in the US.
42) Hassan Oye Odukale, the big boss at Leadway
Assurance is super-rich presiding over such a huge business. He
also has shares in First Bank. He is from Ilisan. There is also
Tokunbo Odutola alias Akuba. He is the fish magnate. He is late
Chief Timothy Odutolaâ€™s son.
Another Big Boy who has got cash is Bayo Abdul, a big paper merchant. He is the MD/CEO of Papermate. So also WESCO Pools and Lottery Boss, Barrister Adewale Moses Osinubi. He is a young man in his 40s and he is cleaning out big time.
43) Senator Buruji Kashamu: One of the richest men in Ijebu-Igbo is Senator Buruji Kashamu, who presides over KASMAL Group of Companies. For the past years, Buruji Kashamu has single-handedly promoted and sustained the Omo Ilu Group in Ogun PDP. He spent billions empowering members across the state buying them cars and equipments.
44) Honourable Tokunbo Oshin, a former Ogun lawmaker is one of the richest Ijebus. He is the owner of ZIPEST, a new set of ultra-modern filling stations springing up all over Ijebu Ode.
45)Alli Olalekan Kazeem, the CEO of Likaz Table water?He produces both Sachet & Table water enhanced with minerals for a pure fresh taste.
46) Alhaji F.A. Soewu is another Big Boy who has cash. He recently opened Debash Oil Filling Station in Ijebu Ode.
47) Balogun Adegboyega Adesoye Also on the list of Ijebu rich men ) Balogun Adegboyega Adesoye commissioned an ultra-modern mosque in memory of his late dad and the 50th remembrance anniversary of the late patriach of their family. His dad, Balogun Adesoye who was the late Balogun of Ijebuland died 2 weeks before the birth of his son. Fuji King, K1 de Ultimate is equally rich. His house in Ijebuode has been put at about N100 million.
48) Dolapo Balogun is another Big Boy who is rich. He is the guru behind Equity Insurance. He has over the years diversified into other areas. In the case of Alhaji Aranse, he has made a lot of money from his Building business. He is involved in anything Construction.
49) Otunba Raymond Olawale Tawak is another guy who is also very rich. He is one of the biggest players in the Electrical and Power Generating business. He sells industrial generators. He owns SAT Tech.Â There are also others like the Oba of Imoru who is rich, Engineer Tunde Odufunwa, Professor Adesanya (SAN) who handles a lot of big briefs, Chief Obagun, Alhaji Abass of Ijebu Igbo and Dapo Osinusi who is into Oil and Gas.
50)Â Engineer Demola Fowora and Ambassador Femi Fowora are rich Ijebu Chiefs. They are both Otunbas. How about Kolade Mosuro, the rich Ijebu businessman who owns booksellers in Ibadan; he is stupendously rich. These rich men not only have cash but wield influence in the society and all are forces to reckon with in their endeavors.