Profile of Professor Stephen Ejugwu Onah
|Surname name:Â Â Â Â||Onah|
|Other names:Â||Ejugwu Stephen|
|Date of birth:||September 2, 1959|
|Place of birth:||Uje-Anchim|
|Local Government area:||Oju|
|State of origin:||Benue|
|Home address:Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â||Uje-Anchim, Oju L.G.A.|
|Postal address:Â Â Â||Department of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science, University of Agriculture, P.M.B 2373 Makurdi, Benue State â€“ Nigeria|
|E-mail addresses:||email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mobile phone numbers:Â||08054808898 and 08036929704|
|Name of Spouse:||Mrs. Maria Iynangbe Onah|
|Number of children:||Three (3)|
|Names of children:||Jennifer Iyeka, Valentine Elilehi and Kingston Onahi|
|Present post:||Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic)|
|Wesley Transferred School, Anchim||January, 1966 â€“ December, 1972|
|Government College, Makurdi||January, 1973 â€“ June, 1977|
|School of Basic Studies, Ugbokolo||October, 1977 â€“ September, 1978|
|Acting Head of Department||October, 1990 â€“ December, 1991|
|Acting Head of Department||November, 2000- August, 2006|
|Deputy Dean, College of Science||July, 2007 â€“ March, 2010|
|Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic)||March, 2010 to date.|
|Acting Vice-Chancellor||Several times between March, 2010 and
now; including the period of NUC Institutional Accreditation in December, 2011 and NUC Needs Assessment Exercise in 2012
|Acting Chairman of UAM Senate||Several times between March, 2010 and now|
|Chairman (Overall), NUC Institutional Accreditation Exercise that resulted in the UAM obtaining Full Accreditation for the next seven years and thereby attaining a Grade A+ status.||2011|
|Vice Chairman, ASUU â€“ UAM Branch||February, 2000 â€“ February, 2004.|
|Chairman, ASUU â€“ UAM Branch||February 4, 2004 â€“ April 9, 2008|
|House Prefect (Nile House), Governmentt College Makurdi.||1976/77 session|
|School Boy/School Time Keeper, Wesley Transferred Primary School, Anchim (Now, LGEA School, Otunche)||1972|
|Chairman (two times), Agba Klub, Makurdi (a social organization)||1988 â€“ 1990 and 1997 â€“ 1999|
Membership of Learned Societies
- Nigerian Mathematical Society (member).
- Mathematical Association of Nigeria (member).
Theses and Publications
- Journal Publications
- Solution of Poisson Equation by Finite Element Method (M.Sc. Thesis, 1986).
- A singular Stochastic Control Model of irreversible Investment Under Uncertainty (Ph.D. Thesis, 1998)
Research Interest/Research Experience
- Current Research Interest
- Studentsâ€™ Supervision
- Research Grants
- External Examiner/Editorial Work
- External Assessor for Professorship
My research is in the broad area of Computational Mathematics
with specific interest in stochastic modeling and numerical
computing (by finite difference, finite element and boundary
element methods). A number of researches have been completed as
evidenced by the publications listed above.
The following areas currently engage my research efforts:
- Modeling of bio-systems.
Here, studies are directed in the area of spread of diseases among animals, humans and plants. Also the behavior of drugs in a body system and genetic changes are being studied through stochastic modeling. The objective is to provide scientific bases for informed decisions and policies by relevant authorities. The dissemination of information of the research results is often done through seminars, conferences, research fares (like those organized by NUC) etc.
- Modeling of Economic Systems
There is active research going on in this area in contemporary issues such as the appropriate pricing of petroleum products, performance of investments in developing economies and in the face of economic melt-down. Also, studies are on-going in the area of optimal timing for capital accumulation towards retirement (pension models). Furthermore, there is current research in the employer and employee bargaining process. The effort here is to establish scientific bases for negotiations between Governments and Labor Organizations.
- Numerical Computing
In this area, Numerical Methods such as Finite Difference, Finite Element and Boundary Element methods are studied towards utilizing them to solve the differential equations models that are developed in Science and Engineering. The above methods and other Numerical Methods are also used in solving problems that are developed in the Bio-Systems and Economic systems.
- Mathematics/Conference in honor of Prof. H.O. Tejumola, held at the University of Ibadan, July, 1997. (Presented two papers).
- Conference of the Nigerian Mathematical Society, held at the University of Jos, Jos, June 2000. (Presented one paper).
- Conference of the Nigerian Mathematical Society, held at the Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso, June, 2003. (Presented two papers).
- Conference of the Nigerian Mathematical Society, held at the Benue State University, Makurdi, September 2003. (Presented one lead paper).
- Conference of Nigerian Mathematical society held at the Ebonyi state University, Abakiliki, April, 2004 (Presented one paper).
- Conference of the Nigerian Mathematical Society, held at the Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye, April, 2005, (Presented one paper).
- Uyo, Uyo, April, 2006 (Presented one co-authored a paper).
- Conference of the Mathematical Association of Nigeria (M.A.N.), held at the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi, August 30th â€“ September 2nd 200611 (Presented one paper).
- Conference of the Nigerian Mathematical Society, held at the University of Port Harcourt, Port Harcourt, May 2008 (Presented one co-authored paper).
- International Conference on Mathematical Modeling of some Global Challenging Problems in the 21st century, held at NMC Abuja, November 26 â€“ 30, 2008 (Presented one paper).
- Appointments and Promotions
- Administrative Experience and Leadership Responsibilities
|Graduate Assistant||July, 1983 â€“ July, 1987|
|Assistant Lecturer||August, 1987 â€“ September, 1989|
|Assistant Lecturer||August, 1987 â€“ September 1989|
|Lecturer II||October, 1989 â€“ September, 1996|
|Lecturer I||October, 1996 â€“ September, 1999|
|Senior Lecturer||October, 1999 â€“ September, 2003|
|Associate Professor||October, 2003 â€“ September, 2006|
|Professor||October, 2006 to date|
Awards and Honors
- Agba Man of the Year, 1995: An honor by Agba Klub, Makurdi, a social organization based in Makurdi in recognition of Outstanding and Exemplary Qualities in Leadership.
- Exemplary Comradeship and Excellent Leadership, 2005: A merit award by the Student Union, University of Agriculture, Makurdi, in recognition of high quality leadership provided as ASUU Chairman.
- Scholarly Promotion of Academics, 2007: A merit award by the National Union of Igede Students, UAM Chapter.
- Excellent Service and Reservoir of Knowledge, 2010: A merit award by the National Union of Igede Students (NUIS).
- Excellence in Youth Empowerment, Community Development and Patriotism, 2010: A merit award by Igede Youth Council.
- Listed in the 15th Edition of Marquisâ€™ â€œWho is Whoâ€ in the world, 2010.
Local, National and International Public Services
|Participant at the National Workshop On The Implementation Of Pension Reforms, Organized by NLC at Aminu Isa Kontagora Theatre||Makurdi, 2007|
|Participant at the International Conference on Pension Reforms, Organized by PENCOM and Senate Committee On Pensions at Transcorp Hotel, Abuja.|
|Member (ASUU Representative), Governing Board of National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA)||September, 2009 â€“ August, 2010|
|Participant at the National Workshop On Public Procurement, Organized by Bureau for Public Procurement, at Rockview Hotel, Abuja.||October 30, 2009|
|Guest Speaker at the Igede Language Stakeholdersâ€™ Conference Organised by Association For Promoting Quality Education In Igedeland (APQEI) at APQEI Secretariat, Ichakobe, Oju LGA.||November, 20 â€“ 21, 2009|
|Participant at the 122nd Joint Tax Board Meeting Held At Sheraton Hotels and Towers, Abuja, Organized by the Federal Inland Revenue Services||April, 2010|
|Participant, ASUU Leadership Conference Held at Hilton Hotel, Jos, Organized by ASUU||October, 2005|
|Participant, State of the Nation Conference held at the NUC Conference Hall; Organized by ASUU||October, 2002|
|Participant, International Conference on Education held at Rockview Hotel, Abuja Organised by ASUU and Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa||March, 2005|
|Guest Speaker at the Annual Award Giving Ceremony Of The Igede Youths Forum held at the Igede Hall In Oju LGA||February, 2011|
|Guest Speaker, at the Omi-nyIgede Annual Convention organized by Omi-nyIgede at the Police Officersâ€™ Mess, Makurdi||2011|
|Participant at the Joint Education Stakeholders Action Coalition (JESAC), 2nd National Consultative Conference held at the International Conference Centre, Abuja||October, 2010|
|Participant at the National Conference on Nigerian Universities at 50 years held at NUC Auditorium, organized by NUC||September, 2010|
|Participant at the Conference of Rectors, Vice-Chancellors and Presidents of African Universities (COREVIP) held at Spier Hotel, Stellenbosch (Cape Town) South Africa, organized by Association of African Universities (AAU)||30th May â€“ 3rd June,|
|Member, Local Church Council, Living Faith Makurdi||December, 2008 to date|
|Member, Church Ministerial Council, Living Faith Church Makurdi||December, 2008 to date|
|Chairman, Local School Board, Kingdom Heritage Model School, Makurdi (owned by Living Faith Church Worldwide)||December, 2008 to date.|
|Member, NUC Program Accreditation Panel to Gombe State University, 2009.|
|Funding of an Economic Empowerment Program for my Age Group (The Ibago Age Group) in the village at Uje-Anchim, Oju LGA, Benue State||January, 2008 to date.|
|Education Empowerment: Support of Adult Education Program in the village||2008 â€“ 2010.|
Service to the University Community
|Representative of the School of Foundation studies on the Board of College of Engineering||October, 1986 â€“ September, 1988|
|Member, time table committee||January, 1987 â€“ December, 1989|
|Member, Committee on the development of curriculum for Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science Department||1988|
|Member, Farm Management Committee||October, 1988 â€“ December, 1991|
|University Senate Member||October, 1990 â€“ December, 1991|
|College Examination Officer||September, 1998 â€“ October, 2000|
|Acting Head of Department||November 2000 â€“ August, 2006.|
|University Senate Member||November, 2000 â€“ August, 2006 and October, 2006 to date|
|Chairman, Departmental of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science Postgraduate Committee||February, 2002 â€“ August, 2006|
|Member, Senate representative on UAM Library Committee:||November, 2000 â€“ October, 2002|
|Member, College of Science, Agricultural and Science Education (CSASE) Postgraduate committee||February, 2002 to date|
|Member, CSASE Library Advisory Board||1999 â€“ 2001|
|Member, Local Organizing Committee (LOC) for the Conference of Science Association of Nigeria held in the University of Agriculture, Makurdi||April 1992|
|Member, Examination Malpractices Committee||August, 1988 and September, 1998|
|Member, Farm Management Committee||October, 1998 â€“ December, 1991|
|Chairman, College Committee on the development of B.Sc. Degree curriculum||2001|
|Chairman, Committee on the development of B.Sc. Degree curriculum for the Department||2001|
|Chairman, Committee on the Development of Postgraduate curriculum for the Department||2002|
|Chairman, Committee on the Development of Postgraduate curriculum for the Department||2002|
|Chairman, College Committee on development of Post-graduate curriculum||2002|
|Member, Committee on appointment of part-time lecturers in CEPROS, UAM||2003|
|Secretary, Local Organizing Committee for the conference of Mathematical Association of Nigeria held in the Benue State University, Makurdi||September 2002.|
|Member, Inaugural Lecture Committee||April 2006 â€“ March, 2008|
|Patron, Living Faith Church Campus Fellowship, UAM||October, 2007 to date|
|Patron, National Union of Igede Students, UAM Chapter||October, 2006 to date|
|Chairman, USSMB, UAM||March, 2010 to date|
- Thinking, reading, sight-seeing and picnicking.
- In-door games and watching football.
- Photography and music