The Minister of Labor and Employment, Chris Ngige, has said that for any unemployed Nigerian to benefit from any of the social intervention scheme (SIS) of the government, they must register online as registration is now mandatory for job seekers and other empowerment programmes. Ngige stated this while flagging off the National Directorate of Employment (NDE) School-to-Work Programme in Calabar, Cross River State over the weekend.
He said this against the backdrop of different agencies of government laying claim to the ownership of the programmes.
“You must register to benefit from the Social Intervention Scheme. Unfortunately, as we speak, by last week, the portal has only recorded about 1.2 million persons. We expect more persons to have been registered in the portal before our screening exercise; the registration on the portal is Npower.ng.org.
The portal closes Aug. 31, which is just few days away. For those who are not computer literate, we advise state governments to encourage them by using local government chairmen to move into local government areas to register the unemployed persons there. So that they can qualify to be considered for the scheme. Each state of the federation is expected to recruit about 1, 500 persons’’ he said