List of Websites In The World Founded Before 1995 , The following is a partial list of websites founded before 1995. Of the thousands of websites founded prior to 1995, those appearing here are noteworthy for one or more of the following reasons:
- They have existed continuously through the present (albeit in some cases with different names)
- They made formative contributions to the history of the world wide web
- They helped shape certain modern Web content, such as webcomics and weblogs
- The link is a snapshot of the CERN site, the first website, as of November 1992. The Web was publicly announced (via a posting to the Usenet newsgroup alt.hypertext) on August 6, 1991.
- World Wide Web Virtual Library
- Originally Tim Berners-Lee’s web catalog at CERN.
- Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
- Paul Kunz from SLAC visited Tim Berners-Lee at CERN in September 1991. He was impressed by the WWW project and brought a copy of the software back to Stanford. SLAC launched the first web server in North America on December 12, 1991.[
- ACME Laboratories
- A free software site, created by Jeffrey Poskanzer, who created the compact web server thttpd. It is still active today.