The fire that ravaged the Great Nigeria House since Monday morning has been doused, 32 hours after it started. the building located in balogun market Area of Lagos state gutted fire since around 5am on Monday. The authorities have yet to identify the cause of the inferno which consumed three floors of the 25-storey building. naijacelebritynews.blogsot.com learnt that officials of the Lagos State Government and the Federal Fire Service worked through the night and were able to put out the inferno around 1.45pm on Tuesday. The inferno left in its wake, destroyed property and goods estimated to be worth billions of naira.
Scores had also sustained varying degrees of injuries, with some of the victims being transferred to an undisclosed public hospital.
naijacelebritynews.blogspot.com observed a heap of burnt clothes, shoes and bags from the site of this incidence.
The three gutted floors were still smouldering, while thick black smokes could be seen coming from the building.
Three water trucks belonging to the state and federal government were seen combating the fumes both from inside and outside the complex. SEE MORE AFTER CUT>>>
It was learnt that over 50 trucks of water had been expended already. All entrances to the building were cordoned off by security operatives, while adjoining market stalls were locked up.naijacelebritynews.blogspot.com gathered from one of the resident of the area, Mr Lateef Shita-bay, who said the building was constructed in 1982 by the Great Nigeria Insurance Company. He said, “Ever since I heard about the fire outbreak yesterday, I decided to come here to observe things myself. The burnt area is for shops and offices. The fire started receding before it was put off. The Chief Fire Superintendent of the Lagos State Fire Service, Mr. Emmanuel Oladotun, said he had not been able to sleep since the previous day.
He said, “I have not been able to sleep. We have been working through the nights.”
General Manager, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Dr. Femi Oke-Osanyintolu, said the agency had called in the ministry of works and physical planning to make a full assessment of the damage done to the structure and also to call the solid material testing agency to submit their report. We want to ensure people are safe he said. he also appeal to people to remain cool and call our emergency lines anytime they them.”
The spokesperson of the National Emergency Management Agency, South West zone, Mr. Ibrahim Farinloye said, “Because this is happening about three times in that same area, we are going to reassess the area and make recommendation to the Federal Government because this is a national matter.”