A Nigerian, Ifesinachi Nelson Ezeh, has won international acclaim for finishing his Master’s degree at Saint Petersburg Agrarian University in Russia with distinction and for his edge-cutting research in Agronomy. His feat earned him a Ph.D scholarship. HANNAH OJO writes on the exploits of the youngster whose aim is to tackle the food crisis in his fatherland.
Ifesinachi Nelson Ezeh, a 26-year-old Nigerian, has dazzled Russia with his brilliance. The Nsukka, Enugu State-born student finished his Master’s degree in Agronomy at Saint Petersburg State Agrarian University, graduating with a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 5.0 – the highest Russia has ever recorded.
Ifesinachi’s feat was celebrated by Russians during the university’s graduation. Russia’s Ministry of Agriculture and the school leadership showered encomiums on him, praising his dedication to quality research and academic excellence.
His journey to success started from a newspaper in 2008, when he read about a scholarship scheme to study in Russia. Then, he had just enrolled at the Nigerian College of Aviation Studies in Zaria, Kaduna State. But, Ifesinachi forfeited the admission for the scholarship.
– Ifesinachi Nelson Ezeh, a 26-year-old Nigerian.
– His feat earned him a Ph.D scholarship.
– Enugu State-born student finished his Master’s degree in Agronomy at Saint Petersburg State Agrarian University.
– Graduating with a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 5.0 the highest Russia has ever recorded.
– Ifesinachi’s research on species of Aegilops won him recognition from the Science Community in the Europe.
– In the course of the study, Ifesinachi discovered inadequacies in the previous researches carried out by scholars in the field.
– After his research, it was discovered that previous researchers falsified records and gave the Russian government wrong information about the Aegilops species.
– Ifesinachi’s results enabled the Russian government to update plant bank gene collections with effective genes.– Ifesinachi’s feat improved the ratings of Saint Petersburg State Agrarian University and fetched him a scholarship for his Master’s degree.
– He completed his undergraduate degree with a CGPA of 4.92 and finished his Master’s degree with a CGPA of 5.0 – a distinction.
– While his academic feat was being celebrated by the Russians, he was unsung by his country
– Ifesinachi said he did not get any commendation from the Nigerian Embassy in Moscow.